Monday, August 30, 2010

Fun, competitive, survival...want to be a part?

From the first episode I saw of Survivor I have wanted to be on the show. As I watched this amazing sociological experiment unveiling before my eyes, I was captivated.  I took a sociology class in college and we did several fun experiments as a class. Survivor took things to a whole new level. I had never really seen anything like it. It began a love affair I have had with reality television ever since. There is something to taking a group of complete strangers and throwing them in a secluded part of the country and having them work through relationships and extreme conditions and seeing what happens.

I have a theory. Until the last few seasons they have had 16 players on the show. If you have ever taken the Meyers-Briggs personality test you know that there are ultimately 16 different personality types. (Bex talks about this a little on her blog today. I am an ENFP) I think they find people who fit all 16 types in order to cause as much tension as possible. After all, tension equals ratings. Even though there are often people we "hate" on the shows we watch, it gets boring when they are no longer on there.

They have messed with the "rules" a bunch of times recently to keep things fresh and it continues to be intriguing to me. This season they are placing the old vs. the young. They even have former Dolphins and Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson on this season. I REALLY want to be on the show. Imagine what a life experience that would be. I know  a lot of people would say, "How can you be on a show where people stab each other in the back and say you are a Christian?" My response is usually something like, "Have you ever played the card game Bull? You know, the one where you are supposed to lie about how many cards you have and try to bluff your way to victory? I think it's kind of like that. Outwit, outlast, outplay are the rules." When I honestly think about it though, I realize I love people too much to stab them in the back. The show is all about relationships and I would build strong ones out there. I am also a hard worker and I think I could hold back on being the "leader" too soon. I also have wit and charm that I would use to win people over. I do realize that all these things play against me in the end when others want to go up against someone who is not liked by the rest of the tribe so they have a better chance of winning, but oh well. 

For the last several years I have lead a group of people in a Fantasy Survivor League. It is a total blast. Each week you answer 5 questions which include "Who will get reward?", "Who will get immunity?" , "Who will be safe?" and "Who will get voted off?" For each answer you get right you get points. Points are totaled at the end of the season and the top three get gift cards for different things. The top gift card is usually worth around $50. It could be more if more people played. It only takes $5 to get in. We are starting up the season on September 15th, so there is still time to get in.

Want to join us this season? It's worth a try. It's a lot of fun. Who knows, you may get to play this when I am on the show some day. I have tried out a few times you know? This time. That time. And some others. All you need to do is to give me your email address and I will send you an invitation. Don't put it here though, send me an email here.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...