Saturday, August 21, 2010

Leaders who learn are leaders who lead better

Today I spent the day with most of the volunteers from our middle school and high school ministries from our church. It was our annual summer training day and preparing for the fall.



We started the day with a game of get to know you baseball. Very funny things we learned about each other. Then Matt Boda (my boss) took us through some great leadership tips. Six Imperatives "breaking all the right rules." 1) Do something with what God gives you. 2) Recognize that you are in a battle. 3) Count on God's protection. 4) Ask God to open your eyes to the reality of life. 5) Become an eye opener for others. 6) Live out your message (what you believe). This is the power of blessing other people. It was based on 2 Kings 6:8-23 out of the Bible. Check it out.

Then Brian took us through some vision stuff for our youth ministry. We exist to reach, restore, raise up and release a generation of Christ followers devoted to making disciples of all nations.



Then Meesh took us through a Personal Journey Tool. This is a great tool that helps you pinpoint an area of your relationship with Jesus that you can be encouraged in and am area you can work on. It's an excellent tool. Want to check it out? www.mypersonaljourneytool.com

Then we had a catered lunch from Moe's! Yum! After that we came back and Paula talked about youth culture and how and why we should be "in the know" when it comes to cultural relevance. Students connect to a song because there is something in that story that resonates with their story.

Then we headed out to Players to go bowling. I don't care who you are but when you get together with a bunch of people you like and go bowling it is a ton of fun. I did ok. I threw the ball 23.3 mph one time! Yeah.



We came back and jumped into small groups to talk about expectations for the year. After that the middle school team went upstairs and the high school team stayed downstairs.

I am playing double duty this year. I have a small group of junior guys that I meet with weekly and most of them are going to be small group leaders for middle schoolers. So I will be working with them ad Kynzi will be there so I can be involved in her life there.

We headed to Fuddruckers for dinner and I enjoyed a Kobe beef burger!!! If you don't know about this amazing beef you should look it up. Basically it's a Japanese hand massaged cow. I'm not sure how I could have that job but I would like to thank the people who do.

We came back to the office to wrap up. Josh took us "home" with a great piece on how our worth is defined by God. It is not our works that affect our worth. Below is a sketch and outline of what he talked about.




I love these people. I love serving with them. I love to laugh with them. I am thankful I get to be a part of this team. What we did together and learned together today was significant.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

Laura Nile said...

oh man. you guys are going to have such an amazing year! I am so jealous that i don't get to be apart of it this year. Believe it or not, I found a picture of my table group from when Kynzi was in kindergarten. I can't believe they are 6th graders!!!
Good luck next year!

Unknown said...

Yeah. It's gonna be a great year. Can you send me a copy of the pic?

Chrystal said...

sounds like a busy productive day full of rocking awesome people like yourself.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...