Sunday, April 13, 2008

1/2 Marathon!!! I am seriously sick!


The other day I was talking to my friend Steve. He told me he was training for a half marathon. I hate running. I even hate the idea of it. The thought of it sends chills up and down my spine. Seriously. The last time I ran any sort of distance was in college. That was a few years ago. And it was for soccer, a sport that is filled with spurts of short runs. I can handle that. I am playing on an indoor team now and I feel wiped out after a 4 minute in. haha.

Jeanne-Ann suggested that I run it with him. I told her she was nuts. She said I was being selfish and if I cared about my friend I would go run it with him. Haha. My wife is funny.

that night, I was up late and I thought, "You know what? I don't get to spend enough time with Steve. I am going to run this stupid thing with him." So there it is. It's out there. I told him and he was elated!

So Sunday we went for our first run together. He was planning on running and I was going to run as far as I could and then call for a ride home. I made it about 2 miles. My right knee was really feeling some pain. Hmmm. Is that normal? Am I getting old? ;) Do I have some strain there I shouldn't have? Is this an old football injury flaring up? Should I keep doing this?

I ran/walked the 2 miles back, instead of calling for a pick up. It was a gorgeous day out and I do love the sun. I got back and dropped my leg in the hot tub for a while. 2 hours later I went to play soccer with our team. The upside to that is I could sub out any time I wanted. And I did. We won 10-5. (5)

I went home and iced my knee and hit the hot tub again.

I am not sure what to do. Do I wait and see if it is OK? Do I run Tuesday and see how it goes? Do I get a cortizone shot? Do I have knee replacement surgery? (it's actually to the right of my kneecap.)

I will let you know. The HELLvetia 1/2 marathon is June 14th.

Oh, Steve gave me a pair of those really really short running shorts

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...