Saturday, April 24, 2010

Cops Stopped Me...Geocaching Premium Style

As you may have read I got a GPS unit for my birthday and a premium membership to geocaching.com. One of the coolest things about it is that I can get an email alert as soon as a new cache is posted. The other night I went out and got my first one. I was super excited. (I know I am geeking out on you, especially if you don't get geocaching). It was placed less than a mile from where I live. It was part of a 4 cache find that gives you clues to a final destination. I have found 3 of 4. These guys are super clever with how they hide their caches. The last one I have been back to 7 times now. It's killing me.

What is really funny is that someone called the cops on me. I saw the cop coming down the road and I thought, "I bet he is going to stop and talk to me." He did. I told him what I was doing and he said that he got a call that I was using a screwdriver to open an electrical box on a telephone pole. A) it is a non-functioning pole, B) I was using my iPhone to upload live video for my dad (who is a veteran geocacher) to help me try and figure this one out. I actually got the cop on video too. Pretty funny. That's what the fist video below is. I didn't want to be super obvious and point the phone at his face the whole time, but I got a few shots in. The rest is just searching at the pole, so after 2 minutes or so it's pretty boring.



If you have an iPhone, Android or Windows mobile or pretty much any smart phone yu can get an app for about $10, It's super easy and VERY cheap when you consider it's not an actual GPS unit. Below is a video that explains all about geocaching. Let me know if you decide you want to jump into the geocaching world. A fun little worldwide treasure hunt!

2 comments:

Shakes McGee said...

That is crazy cool! I am totally putting that on my wish list. I love that you videoed the cop!

Rochelle said...

i drove by there on friday and there were two guys out there doing the same thing!!! ha ha. i was wondering what they were doing...mystery solved.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...