Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day

Usually Valentine's falls over President's Day weekend. The problem? Well, you see, I run a high school conference over that weekend every year and we often have to celebrate on a different day. that is a score for me, because I get stuff at half price and don't have to wait ridiculous amounts of time for a restaurant. Sunday, I was talking with my small group guys and mentioned what they were supposed to remember for our meeting on Monday. One of them said, "Are we meeting on Valentine's day?" Whoops. "No, we are not."

I then had to start putting a plan into motion. I know Jeanne-Ann does not always like surprises, so I gave her some options. I went out and bought steak and some other food and I was going to cook it up...or we could go out to dinner somewhere. Then we could go out after that. She wanted to stay in for dinner and then go to one of our favorite date places we haven't been to in a while...Borders. We like to go and grab a book or two and sit down with a drink and just enjoy some books together. That was the plan.

When I woke up in the morning I could smell the cinnamon rolls in the air. Jeanne-Ann made some yummy, gooey cinnamon rolls that were absolutely amazing! I had cut out hundreds of hearts and put them all over the floor and Karston decided he wanted to do that too, so he added his own into it. I had also used the poster board Jeanne-Ann got to write a poem on for each of the kids. Fun morning.

Then the rain came with a vengeance. It would not be optimal weather to grill the steaks outside that evening. So we ended up ordering in. Both the kids called into our local radio station to wish me a happy Valentine's Day (not sure why they didn't call for both of us, but I'm not complaining). We were able to capture Karston's call on video.

Kynzi had her first babysitting gig, so we hunkered down in the bedroom and started watching a King Arthur movie, but lasted only 20 minutes and we changed it out for Hitch. We both love that movie! All in all it was a wonderful day. More subdued than normal but a great time together anyhow.

How did you spend your Valentine's Day?

2 comments:

Stacy Hall said...

Sounds like you had a great day Erik! Me? I went through the McDonald's drive thru on the way to watch some of the girls from my youth group play in a basketball tournament. Glamorous right? I know you're jealous! LOL

Stacy Hall

Jessica said...

So sweet! Love it. Hitch: great flick. Perfect V-day movie! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...