Saturday, February 28, 2009

National Youth Ministry Conference...Day 1

Day 1 is done. A lot of traveling and then headed straight for the conference. I guess it's not at the Nationwide Arena. I asked the guy there if the youth workers conference was there. He told me it was Disney on Ice. So I said, "Oh, it is here." I'm so funny.


Anyhow, I got there a little late, but go to see the Segway Olympics and my boy Spencer Sweeting and Karl Fisher and crew got to be in it! Doug gave us some good tidbits and introduced Alex and Brett Harris. They are twin brothers who started a blog together when they were 16? All about the idea that they would rebel against people saying that young people can’t/won’t do much with their lives. They shared some stories of other young people who have done some amazing things, like Zack Hunter, who at 15 authored his first book against slavery.

Jamie Coleman was another girl they talked about who started a shoe drive. She walked a mile on her school track barefoot and asked people to show up with shoes to send to Africa. She got 1,400. She then went to other schools and ended up getting over 4,300 shoes. This girl landed in Africa with a team to give out the shoes and they ran out. So her and her team gave the shoes on their feet. One lady saw her barefoot and came to give her the shoes she had just gotten. Jamie refused, but was deeply moved by that moment of selflessness.

Alex and Brett are the younger brothers of Josh Harris who wrote “I Kissed Dating Goodbye.


Nice work fellas.

Tim Timmons came and lead us in worship. He definitely has a unique sound. I was particularly intrigued by the artwork on the screen. I am pretty sure that is the handiwork of John Bucher.

We got a concert by Braddigan at the end to wrap the evening up and then it was time to socialize. I got to catch up with a bunch of ministry friends. Love these like-minded people! Then off to Bucca di Bepos for some great Italian food with Jason, Kris and Tony! Yum!!!

Full day Saturday. Need to get my body clock in synch.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...