Saturday, December 30, 2006

Pursuit of Happiness


Jeanne-Ann and I went to see this film tonight. You know the one with Will Smith and his son Jaden? It was awesome. I think the two things I liked the most were 1) the relationship between the father and the son and 2) the emotion that sat just below the surface on Will Smith's face.

The relationship. As a father I am often intrigued by father/son relationships in movies and on TV. Often a father expresses his love by tussling his son's hair. Sometimes a hug, rarely, if ever a kiss. Early in the movie "Chris" kisses his son "Christopher" on the lips. This may not seem like a big deal, but it is to me. I know that doesn't happen when you get older, but as a young boy it is totally normal. I understand why it doesn't happen in the movies, typically, that's why I thought it was cool that it happened here, as they are real life father and son.

I enjoyed watching their relationship throughout the movie. It was a very close and respectful one. They both had respect for each other and cared very deeply for each other.

The emotion. Will Smith did a great job in using his emotions. They were the kind that sits just below the surface, but because you are let in on what is going on you can see it deeper. It is very well done. Yes, I cried when *spoiler alert* he was hired at the end and his eyes got red and tears spilled down his face as he shook the hands of his new bosses.

A great shared experience for the both of us.

Oh, and the hippie that was with the hippie chic that stole the bone scanner...was that Tyler of the Amazing Race 9? I looked up on imdb, but found nothing. He had no lines, just held on to the scanner. hmmm...good for him, if it was him.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

wanna see it. can't wait.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...