Thursday, July 29, 2010

Getting Rid of DishTV?

I have been thinking about this for a while. I love my DVR, but it's expensive. There are definitely days I think, "It's totally worth it." and other days I think, "How is it that I am paying for this?" The totally worth it side wins out almost every time. I love TV. If you know me or have followed my blog you know that is true. Like the post on being a DVR snob in May. I have had a few posts on how sad I was about certain shows being canceled, etc. All that to say this would be hard...and I am only in the thinking phase.

I have a few friends that have turned their laptops into TV tuners. I am staring small and slowly moving towards what may possibly land me with out my Dish and DVR. The first move was to try out Netflix using my Wii. Pretty AWEsome!! Next step? Get the cables/connections to try playing what is on my computer on to my TV. After I try this I will see what happens next.


Want to learn how to make the switch? Connections? Netflix? Hulu? ESPN3? There are a ton of options. You can watch live sports online now. I got to see several World Cup games online! You can watch almost anything on Justin.TV. It's pretty amazing. Can I handle watch my reality shows a day later? Maybe they will be viewable live too.

Check out this article. It has a ton of ideas and insights.

Thanx to Colby for the reminder. HD antennas!!! You can get yor basic stations in perfect HD with them. (there takes care your American Idol Meesh)

5 comments:

jana said...

When my husband built our home theater room in our house, he set up a master PC (I know there is an actual term for it, but I can't remember) that plays Netflix and Hulu. We are very close to ditching Dish Network as well because the $60/month seems totally wasted because we watch so little TV these days and what we do, we can usually find on one of those sources. However, saying that in the summer is very different than saying it during the school year when all the good shows come back on.

Michelle said...

I'm so ready to do this too... There are just a few things id miss... Ok, one that is a challenge - I admit it - American idol - then again with no Simon and no Ellen it'll be interesting to see what happens... Come on FOX!! Add AI to online watching...LIVE!!! So cool!!!

Colby Martin said...

It is hard, yes, but it is good. Ditching Dish for us saves us $80 a month. In it's place we: have Netflix downstairs via PS3, totally legit. Have a Roku player upstairs for the boys, to stream their fav toons movies. An HD Antenna, which gets all networks in HD as clear as Dish (try out the Terk brand, they're great). And plug in my MBP via HDMI to watch any/all shows online on the TV. Will I miss DVR functionality? Yes... Especially come football season. But I found you can buy used HD TiVo for like $70 on craigslist, and subscription is only $12 a month! All told, ditching Dish saves tons of dough and you end up watching less TV by default, which again is hard, but good. Kate and mines two cents

Unknown said...

Great stuff y'all. I totally forgot about HD antennas. I am updating my post about that now.

Unknown said...

HD antennas are great if you live within 40 miles of a major metro area. We live 70 miles out so its out is the question. Even when we lived 30 miles out of Hartford, it was iffy unless you mounted an antenna on the roof. Gonna stick with directv for now. But keeping my eyes open about this stuff.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...