Thursday, August 07, 2008

Do you worship God while being distracted?

Today I was in church and it was fantastic. Excellent worship through music and the Word. Matt Boda spoke today and knocked it out of the park. I don't just say that because he is my boss, it's true. Genesis 39. Joseph and Potiphar's wife.

It was all about blessing and temptation today. Excellent stuff. You can listen to it online. I am not sure how quick they are to upload messages, but go to http://www.salemalliance.org/home/sermons2008.php. It should be up there this week some time.

So, we were singing and Laura, our worship leader, asks us to stand. Half way through the song I see the mom in front of me look up from her bulletin to see her daughter sitting and doing the word search in the bulletin (exactly what the bulletin is for during this month of "family gathers.") She leans over to "dad" and tells him to get her to stand up. Dad leans over to her and she gets upset because she is in the middle of the word search. She stands up with a humph and arms crossed.

Here's my question: Who was really worshiping? Was the daughter? Was the mom? I was really irritated when I watched this unfold. I wanted to lean forward and tell her to put away her bulletin so we could all turn our attention to Jesus. Of course I kept my mouth shut, but it really distracted me. Was this as much my issue too? Hmmm.

2 comments:

Melinda said...

So at the church we are attending now, they do not have nursery or children's church. You guessed it...babies and toddlers alike attend the church services. I can't remember the last time I was able to really worship in that particular setting. How sad is that?

Rochelle said...

that sounds like thad totally! he gets really upset with the kids not standing or doing what they are suppose to in church. i cannot concentrate...i remember being a kid and reading the bulletin over and over because it was so hard to stay focused for that long. but u know us baptists....sermons go on for hours and so does the food. ha ha ha.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...