Saturday, January 01, 2011

Sarcasm...I speak it fluently

Webster's defines it this way:
noun \ˈsär-ˌka-zəm\
1: a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain
2: a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual
I am super quick with a sarcastic quip. Get me in the ring with the titled sarcastic king and I would give him a run for his money. It's a trait I picked up in high school or college. If it was high school, it was refined and perfected in college. You could actually major in sarcasm at my school. Most of the basketball team had it as their major and it was with this crew that I honed my skill.

I remember the time I was at my first meeting with a group of guys who we were going to meet wekly with. It was an accountability/encouragement type of group. Some of these guys I knew, some I met for the first time that night. At the time, not everyone had a cell phone, and in through the door walks Chris who was on the phone. My friend Todd made some sarcastic remark and I jumped right in. When we officially started our group Chris started by saying, "I don't know what everyone else is expecting from this group, but sarcasm is everywhere in my life and I don't want it to be part of this group. When I walked in I was talking to a student who was hurting and you (looking at me) made some sarcastic remark. If that's what this group is going to be about then I don't want to be a part of it." I felt like the BIGGEST LOSER! I apologized and our group started right in and we never uttered a sarcastic remark from that point on.

It was a really good thing for me. I needed that. I have seen sarcasm tear people down and hurt them tremendously. Usually my sarcasm has been directed at friends and in a way that I know that we all are OK.

Words are powerful. They can change the life of the person you give them to. Will those words be words that push someone in a direction of encouragement or will you hurt them deeply? Sometimes even just a hello and a smile can change someones day.

This year, I am planning on continuing to reign in my tongue. I have been on a journey to lessen the language of sarcasm for several years now and I want to continue that journey.

I want to be someone who builds other people up. I want to be known for my words of encouragement. I don't want to see someones eyes drop because of something I say. So 2011...here I come.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...